Friday, September 2, 2016

The Gods Lie


Image result for the gods lie

The Gods Lie is a coming-of-age manga story about Natsuru Nanao, an 11-year-old boy obsessed with soccer who befriends a tall girl in his class, Rio Suzumura.  Rio lives alone with her younger brother in a ramshackle old house.  They fend for themselves and hide a terrible secret.  It's summer.  Rio ditches a three-day soccer camp to stay at the Suzumura house.  Did I mention there was a cat?  And a beetle.

I loved this little story; it's about a 40-minute read.  Unlike most manga, which last for thousands or even tens of thousands of pages, The Gods Lie clocks in at 216 pages in five chapters.  This is the type of book you just want to lend to someone, to share with other people.  I was watching my nephews this morning, and I always like to read in front of them, to show that even their marginally-cool uncle likes to read.  I left this book for my sister to read.  Anyway, this book sticks with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment